Hyberbaric Oxygen Therapy
HCMC offers Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy as a medical treatment for patients with wounds that will not heal or patients with damage from radiation injury after cancer treatment. We have the care and compassion to get you back on your feet and back into life.
What is Hyperbaric Oxygen (HBOT) Therapy?
HBOT is an advanced treatment where a patient is placed inside a pressurized chamber and given 100% oxygen. The high level of oxygen can help a patient build new blood vessels, help fight infection, and promote healing. By dramatically increasing the oxygen in the blood and tissue, HBOT provides the ideal environment to promote healing.
Who can Hyperbaric Oxygen help?
Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy can help ultimately grow healthy tissue. It is also effective in treating the following conditions:
- Diabetic wounds of the foot and legs
- Compromised skin grafts and flaps
- Radiation tissue damage
Who qualifies for Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment?
- Diabetic foot and leg wounds – must have a minimum of 30 days of wound care without improvement.
- Radiation necrosis–need documentation of radiation site, damage from radiation
- Chronic Refractory Osteomyelitis – MRI confirmed osteomyelitis, failure of treatment with medications for 6 weeks, chronic wound for over 6 months.
- Skin Grafts/Flaps –a split thickness graft or muscle flap with documented failure.
- Atherosclerosis –documented history of atherosclerosis with a corrective procedure performed.
What is a treatment like?
The first appointment consists of an assessment by our skilled Wound and Hyperbaric Team, a review of your medical history, blood tests, and recommendations for your treatment plan. Please be sure to bring your medical records, insurance information, a list of current medications, and a list of your allergies to this appointment. You should expect to spend at least 2 hours at the Center.
HBOT treatments will normally occur everyday Monday through Friday. The total course of treatment will last approximately 1-2 months. A typical treatment lasts for 120 minutes (1 ½ hours). On arrival for a treatment, our trained HBO technician will check your vital signs and a glucose test. It is very important to eat a good meal before arriving for treatment. Our HBOT chambers are single person and totally clear which allows for you to watch television during your treatment.
To make an appointment for an evaluation you may call 731-644-8208 or a referral may be faxed to 731-644-8551.